28 November 2008

BLACK FRIDAY IN ROCKPORT







At the crack of dawn today, while the rest of the U.S. was in line at Best Buy, Macy's and WalMart , my mother and I were in line in front of the Rockport Art Association. We wanted to be right near the front of the line when the doors opened at 10am for the annual (benefit) Holiday Ornament Sale. We left the house at about 9:15 and were in line in front of the RAA (#4 and #5) at about 9:30. These lovely "ornaments" are mini masterpieces painted by the oh-so-talented members of the RAA. I have gone almost every year since we moved here in the late 90s, and I have collected a great assortment of perfect little paintings; some still lifes, some holiday-themed, and many Cape Ann landscapes. Today I bought two; one of Motif #1, and the other a beautiful little painting of one of my very favorite vistas...the Essex Salt Marsh as seen from Farnhams. I'll show you my collection in a future post! Black Friday purchases for a good cause...and it's so much better than visiting the mall at the crack of dawn! There really is a crush at the door when the RAA opens at 10am and the next half an hour is filled with grabbing, comparing, trading and enjoying. It's a very nice tradition!

www.rockportartassn.org

No comments: